Deploy WordPress over EC2 instance using AWS RDS as MySQL database server
Steps to complete this task:
- We need to create a MySQL database using AWS RDS.
- Create a EC2 instance
- WordPress stores data at the backend in the MySQL Database Server which we have created using RDS service of AWS, Configure RDS database
- Configuring httpd server on EC2 instance
- Configuring Wordpress, provide the endpoint/connection string to the WordPress application to make it work.
- Deploying Wordpress
Step 1: Creating a MySQL database using AWS RDS
Click on create database , select options according to free tier
- choose MySQL as engine type.
- give DB name and set credentials
- Additional configuration
- Click on create database
Step 2: Create EC2 instances
- Choose Amazon Linux image for instance
- while security group settings, create a new security group, add rule for HTTP with 0.0.0.0 as source.
- launch instance with this settings
Step 3: Configuring RDS
- Go to database that we have created, then go to connectivity & security of that click on security group edit SG inbound rule choose MYSQL/Aurora as type and give source as custom choose the SG same that we have created for EC2 instance, this will allow access of EC2 in database.
- Log in to the EC2 instance via SSH
- install MySQL
- Now go to database and then copy the endpoint from connectivity & security session.
- Export MSQL_HOST=<ENDPOINT>
- give command for connecting mysql
- Give the following command for creating user for Wordpress application and set permission for accessing database.
Step 4: Configuring httpd server on EC2 instance
- “sudo yum install httpd” for installing httpd
- starting service “sudo service httpd start”
- checking if the httpd is working or not
Step 5: Configuring Wordpress
- Downloading wordpress
- uncompress wordpress
- ls and then you can see Wordpress and latest.tar.gz directories
- “cd wordpress”
- “cp wp-config-sample.php wp-config.php” copying sample config file content to original file
- “nano wp-config.php” to edit file
- change dbname, password, user, host from previous steps
Step 6: Deploying Wordpress
- installing lamp-mariadb10.2-php7.2 from amazon-linux-extras
- copy wordpress to /var/www/html and restart service
- Reload httpd page you can see wordpress now
- you can see database info
Successful in deploying Wordpress application on EC2 instance using AWS RDS as database.